Saturday, February 10, 2007

#25 (aka: Desperate for change)

I've got a new story this evening:

After the Trans Town Hall Meeting today at the MEF, I called my mother to ask her to come pick me up from Northampton. While I waited for her, I had time to go get a coffee at Starbucks and browse around at Pride and Joy. Despite the cold, I had a pretty good time, wandering around independently and experiencing NoHo as a freebird, of sorts.

My mother and I had planned when she dropped me off that we would meet back up in front of Faces, and then proceed home from there. I believe I waited out there in the cold for her for about 20 minutes. Yes, it was freezing, but I didn't want to miss her.

While I stood there waiting for her, I stood about 4 feet away from a homeless young woman, politely asking the complete strangers that passed her for any spare change. I think I gave her about 75 cents, and I felt good about that, even though I wished I could have done more. But there were other people who passed us on the sidewalk who infuriated me. The homeless woman would ask these people for change, and they would just pass right by her! Some of them didn't even look at her, and the ones who did seemed to see her as scum. It made me so angry. I wanted to hit some of them, especially the ones who didn't even glance her way. They acted like she wasn't even there, but I know they heard her -- it wasn't that noisy on that main stretch today. One teenage girl even swerved out of the way so that she could avoid the homeless woman. It was all so disrespectful. I couldn't believe that people could treat each other that way and not even give it a second thought. What kind of a society are we living in when people who obviously have enough money can't spend a little of it to help those who are significantly less fortunate?

And, you know, it did cross my mind at one point, since she was so calm, that she might just be doing a project for school or something, because Smith College is so close to where she was. But from the way she seemed so desperate for change, that thought left my mind almost as quickly as it entered.

See, I cannot very easily just walk past someone who is in the position that that homeless woman was in. I realize that I could be running the risk of being scammed by somebody who wants a couple extra bucks, but I try to not think about that -- instead, I like to think that I'm doing something to help these less fortunate people. I'm happy to help people like that woman, and, yes, I know that there's going to be a point when I'm relying on myself for income where I may have to walk past people like her. But that time is not right now, and maybe I'm too soft-hearted when it comes to seeing people like that asking as desperate a question as hers, but I know that passing by someone like her in the future will be really hard on me. I don't like to see others suffering, which is a major reason why I'm an activist.

I guess the most important part of this posting (for me) is that I have a question: Is there a point at which I should seriously take a step back and think twice about helping a seemingly well-meaning homeless person in broad daylight, where there appears to be little chance of my getting physically harmed? I don't feel right about not helping someone when I know I can, but I don't want to be taken advantage of. Where does one draw the line in situations like that?

2 comments:

Peterson Toscano said...

elliot, I often think about what it costs me to NOT reach out and respond to someone who asks me. Sure they may take advantage of me, but that is their problem. My concern is that when I turn aside when I have the power to do good, I think it cools off my heart, makes me a little harder inside.

I think about what Jesus says on the matter. If someone asks you, then give. No need to analyze the motive or even the need. If you can do it, do it.

So that is my $.02 on that subject.

Elliot Coale said...

It's a very valuable $.02, as well, Peterson. Thanks. That's what I think, too. I can't just pass someone by like that. That's why I didn't think twice when I gave that woman my spare change -- I didn't really care if she was scamming me. She appeared to need the money, and I didn't feel right not giving her what I could.