Tuesday, February 6, 2007

#20 (aka: I need permission to chill out)

I feel way too overwhelmed to be as young and new to activism as I am. I'm very proud to be "out" as a Trans youth at 17 -- I know that my feeling comfortable and strong enough to reveal this part of myself to me and those around me says a lot about my character and the people I prefer to be around. And I feel very fortunate to be able to do activism on behalf of this community. But everything is becoming so overpowering, that with graduation approaching, and even before that, the True Colors Conference. Don't get me wrong -- I'm really excited about all this stuff that will be happening in the next few months. But I feel so drained.

What I'd like to know is how people like Leslie Feinberg and Kate Bornstein (as well as any activists on here) are able to have such stamina in their activism and everything else they do and not go insane. Because, right now, with everything that I'm doing, I don't know how all you grown-ups don't land in the nut house with all the responsibility that comes with adulthood. If I'm feeling so... freaked out... right now, how am I ever going to make it when I'm living on my own?!

2 comments:

Alex Resare said...

You need to accept that the way to remain a rock star without fading away is to know how to give yourself permission chill out.

I am not the biggest star in the sky, not at all. But I have worked with political issues long before I came out as trans and have learned to really, really listen to when the body and mind needs to take it easy for a while.

Take out one of your old math books from 4-5 years ago and read them. You will probably think it is childishliy simple. Still it probably needed hard work to learn back then. The same with math you read now, it is hard work but if you would read more math at collage this math would soon look as simple as anything else but high level math will always take some time to do but it will get more simple.

The things we take time to learn will get easier. Wither it is math or activism practise does not only make perfect but makes less energy draining.

It always takes energy to try to change the world of course but it will get easier.

If we work to hard we just wear our selfs out. No point in that. The meaning is that we will still go strong in 10 and 50 years.

Could you guess I had a math test today? :)

Elliot Coale said...

Actually, I'm not taking math at all this year. 11th grade is the last year that students at my school have to take math in order to have enough credits to graduate.

It's not really my classes that I'm worried about when it comes to graduation, as much as just the process of applying for colleges and scholarships and financial aid to pay for college. The classes themselves really aren't the problem.

But activism is really my joy -- since I'm not in a relationship anymore, I have a lot of time to spend on it, so I can't give that up. Activism is my heart.